Wednesday, January 31, 2007

working with kids

The more that I work with little kids, the more I realize that there are fewer differencesdealing with children and adults than we ususally like to think. A This bunch of Kindergardeners that I've been teaching this week has it's problems, sure - speaking out of turn, not lsitening or following directions, and trying anything and everything to get out of class and go to the nurse for that magical cure-all - a bag of ice and a sticker. But how different is that really from adults? We don't listen to each other, we are resitant to being directed, and our cure-alls often involve ice as well...and sometimes stickers.

It's not quite a "everything I needed to know I learned in Kindergarden" setup, but as much as we overestimate the maturity of most "adults", we underestimate how much children can understand and accept a premise when presented to them.

NOTE: This post got cut off mid thought as the little crea....angels got back from gym. Back into the battle I went, dodging pencils and and crayons as I crawled through the fray. Yes, I was left alone in the classroom...and I have never been so tired. Our educators deserve medals of valor, on top of the raises and everything else they can possibly get for the work they do. That's my two cents on the matter.

I need a nap.

No comments: