Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Josh Bell - Ignored

If you haven't run across this fantastic mix of classical music and expose yet, check it out:

Pearls Before Breakfast - Gene Wiengarten


Though I appreciate the standard - oh my god how can we be so ignorant as to ignore Josh Bell playing Bach in a subway station, I can't say I was overly surprised. Not just with classical music, where I am well familiar with the sensation of being ignored, but with the beauty of life in general. We run in such a closeted cyclic way most times, totally internally focused, that it's natural that we'd miss most of what goes on around us.

I have encountered this recently myself - I promised that I wouldn't become one of those pod people who can't walk a block without plugging in - but somehow it's happened, and I'm trying desperatley to cut back. I spend little time alone with my thoughts anymore - oftentimes on purpose - but it is a much needed and much missed part of my routine. I need to dwell, not drown out, and I doubt I'm the only one.

You never know what you might be missing.

No comments: