Wednesday, November 16, 2005

time flies

There are probably a solid 18 things I should be doing at this 9 AM hour, but instead, Im quietly sitting at my computer, eating my breakfast, and deciding what I should say here.

Life as a grad student is tough. I know, a year and a half in is a little late to be realizing this, but it's true. Somehow you hit this wall where everythign you thought isn't really right, you don't have the energy or time to learn everything over again, and so you have to figure out how to learn enough to finish the damn thesis and get the hell out.

Or at least I do.

But, at least, let's say something about music.

What I've found amazing recently is how much some songs speak to certain people. There isn't always a good explanantion for it, but you have these anthems that somehow encapsulate everything you think about a subject. Mine, sadly enough for my lack of liberated and enlightened female self, have a lot to do with boys - having them, not having them, wanting them, not wanting them, being REALLY pissed off at them - usually more on the lack end of things. It's an endless search, and one that I don't really have time for, so I just set a playlist up and let it run through my past relationships for me.

It works pretty well - a definitle cathartic experience.

Sister Hazel - Champagne High
Alanis Morisette - Are you Still Mad?
Avril Lavigne - My Happy Ending (I know, I know...go ahead and laugh)
Barenaked Ladies - Old Apartment
Ben Arthur - Mary Ann
Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique (don't even ask)
Lila Downs - Perhaps, Perhaps Perhaps
Etta James - At Last
Ella Fitzgerald - Someone To Watch Over Me
Guster - What you wish for
Vienna Teng - Hope on Fire

2 comments:

lily said...

Although, admittedly, I did laugh at the Avril...it also made me long for a mix cd with songs that you love and that maybe I would love to. You have great taste, flaunt it at will.

As for the grad school thing, God, pat yourself on the back for getting this far. And although it may not seem like it, you will soon be over this hurdle and on to yet another one. If something has knocked you off your comfortable perch, as school and experience is always sure to do, just get back on there. You are the most capable person that I know. Dana Whitaker incarnate.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lilly