Saturday, October 28, 2006

The city that never sleeps...from a girl who sleeps often

Exhaustion is still the feeling of the day, but I can't help but ruminate on the experience of being here...at least briefly.

Walking across tea Brooklyn Bridge yesterday, down into Manhattan, the mythologies that permeate every aspect of this city suddenly became clear to me. The beauty and deigns of the buildings, the shine of the clouds against the water, the ships moving in and out of their ports. From that perspective, there is no sign of any "natural" beauty, but it is breathtaking, nonetheless. I've always been fond of urban landscapes - there is something about them that appeals far more than most lake-river-tree scenarios - but this was on an entirely new level.

I wish I could post pictures, but that will have to wait until my technological capabilities catch up with me in DC.



I was about to add that it had been 48 hours since I had listened to music - but that's not entirely true. The whole city is filed with it. Two dancers on the subway today were my favorite - a kid, maybe 10, and an older guy. They danced, threw themselves off of the walls, poles and even the ceiling, and the swaying of the train cars never phased them a bit. It was really spectacular - and I was even going to pitch into their hat, but they got off before I had a chance. Maybe I'll run into them again before I leave.

No comments: