Friday, December 15, 2006

365 days

While browsing some really interesting sequential photographs at the National Portrait Gallery last night, a friend of mine turned me on to this : The 365 day project on Flikr . A self portrait a day, every day. Kind of like visual blogging, I guess, or a diary of sorts. Fascinating, both in watching the way that the subjects who are already posting change over time, and also for the possibilities of changing how I look at myself. I'm contemplating participation, but I don't want it to be a snap decision. I feel like it could be really enlightening, but I would want to really commit...

Flipping through all of these photographs, I'm reminded of another conversation I had with him - that photography was a kind of artistic democratization...a technology allowing visual expression without significant barriers on technical facility. Used to be to create a realistic image, one needed training and artistic skill to create an oil painting, or drawing, or whatever - but photography changed that. We are more capable of documenting a beautiful moment, capturing that image, and making a piece of art.

I dunno if that changes anything, or even if it's true, but it was a thought....

No comments: